Costa Rica, truly rica!

Costa Rica flag

Costa Rica contains 6% of the world's biodiversity, even though its area covers only 0.03% of the Earth's surface.

Costa Rica Map
In the late 1990's, Costa Rica had one of the worst deforestation rates in Central America, due to cattle ranching and banana plantations, causing 80% of its forests to disappear. Then the government put in place policies that would change the history of Costa Rica forever. 

Costa Rica forest
Costa Rica has since been able to REFOREST itself. As of now, 51% of Costa Rica's land is covered by forests in protected areas, such as national parks, biological reserves and wildlife refuges.
One example of successful government policy is the National Bamboo Project of Costa Rica, which encourages the use of bamboo over timber as building material, therefore reducing the need for deforestation.
As of 2018, Costa Rica became the first Latin American country to ban sport hunting tourism.
In 2019, Costa Rica announced its decarbonization plan, which aims to become one of the first countries in the world to achieve zero net carbon emissions by 2050.
As of 2018, 73.8% of Costa Rica's electricity was generated by hydroelectric plants, and the remaining 26.2% was sourced from a combination of geothermal, wind, solar and biomass.
Costa Rica shows and proves to us that thinking different is possible, and that living in balance with Nature is feasible.
Oh and fun fact: since 1949, Costa Rica has had no armed forces. Exactly, no military.

Leave a comment

Loved by our community 4.98 star reviews average
5 years in business Proudly creating quality sustainable products
Secure Checkout SSL encryption to protect data